38° Low Angle Block Plane and 47° Standard Angle Block Plane
These 2 block planes are real jewels. They combine beauty and functionality in a very compact size. The planes measure 2 1/16″ wide x 6 1/2″ long.
Advantages and Unique Features
1. The most obvious is planing comfort. With the ‘Blum’ system, the frog angles forward and the small blade is held on the bottom, so there is no blade or lever cap or adjustment knob sticking out right where you need to push with your hand. The rear of the plane is scalloped on each side to fit your hand perfectly.
2. It comes with its’ own sharpening jig. No need to buy a separate jig or even a grinder. This little jig makes sharpening so easy it’s almost fun.
3. Either plane can be ordered with a cambered frog. Because of the unique blade/frog arrangement, we can grind a very gentle curve on the bottom of the frog and backup iron, and then the blade is bent to this curvature. This gives you a perfect camber every time and is much easier than cambering the blade every time you sharpen.
4. It has a built-in chipbreaker. This is not a separate piece, but is part of the frog and is therefore much easier to use than a standard chipbreaker/blade assembly. Combined with its’ 47° bevel down blade, setting the chipbreaker gap narrow( say .003-.008 ) allows this little block plane to plane the most difficult woods without tearing. Changing the chipbreaker setting is very easy with the ‘Blum’ system, and does not depend on either part being square or sprung correctly or ground just perfectly. The back-up iron provides the pressure for a perfect fit. Changing the chipbreaker setting takes less than 1 minute. Never bother keeping 2-3 blades ground at different angles, just use your chipbreaker. That is why they were invented over 200 years ago!
5. A double-edged reversible carbide blade is available. For carpenters or those who don’t like sharpening much. Makes this a true disposable blade plane. Carbide won’t get quite as sharp as steel, but it works just fine for most planing operations. Sharpening can easily be done with our Fixed Angle Jig and diamond stones and diamond paste on MDF blocks. These products are all available in our sharpening section. Instructions are included with the Fixed Angle Jig.