I call this a small smoother because it makes a great small smoother! The blade is 1 1/2″ wide, it can be straight or adjusted to cambered, is comfortable to hold, and best of all is a double iron plane so the chipbreaker can be adjusted to eliminate tearout.
This little block plane is a real jewel. It combines beauty and functionality in a very compact size. The plane measures 2 1/16″ wide x 6 1/2″ long.
Advantages and Unique Features
- The most obvious in planing comfort. With the ‘Blum’ system, the frog angles forward and the small blade is held on the bottom, so there is no blade or lever cap, or adjustment knob sticking out right where you need to push with your hand. The rear of the plane is scalloped on each side to fit your hand perfectly.
- It comes with its’ own sharpening jig. This is now our new Anodized Aluminum model. No need to buy a separate jig or even a grinder. This little jig makes sharpening so easy it’s almost fun.
- It now comes standard with our new Adjustable Camber Frog. You can go from straight to cambered by simply turning 2 screws from the bottom of the plane.
- The chipbreaker/blade assembly can now be removed from the frog for easy blade sharpening and chip break distance setting. Magnets hold the two together so your settings remain intact. Setting the chipbreaker gap narrow (say .003-.008) allows this little block plane to plane the most difficult woods without tearing. Changing the chipbreaker setting is very easy with the ‘Blum’ system, and does not depend on either part being square or sprung correctly or ground just perfectly. The back-up iron provides the pressure for a perfect fit. Changing the chipbreaker setting takes less than 1 minute. Never bother keeping 2-3 blades ground at different angles, just use your chipbreaker. That is why they were invented over 200 years ago!
- A double-edged reversible carbide blade is available. For carpenters or those who don’t like sharpening much. Makes this a true disposable blade plane. Carbide won’t get quite as sharp as steel, but it works just fine for most planing operations. Sharpening can easily be done with our Fixed Angle Jig and diamond stones and diamond paste on MDF blocks. These products are all available in our sharpening section. Instructions are included with the Fixed Angle Jig.
Comes with our new Adjustable Camber Frog!
|Dimensions||2.0625 × 6.5 in|