The following is a list of the Advantages and Novel Features :
- Each plane comes with its’ own easy-to-use sharpening jig.
- The thin blades never require grinding.
- The plane is fully adjustable- no tools required
- No separate lateral adjuster is required.
- No widening of the mouth as the sole is worn down from truing.
- Full handgrip without interference on the smooth planes.
- A scraper frog is available.
- Every plane has our NEW adjustable camber frog
How does it work?
At first glance, you may wonder, where is the blade? That is a legitimate question because it is not constructed like any prior plane. Look at the pictures below to see the construction details and the frog.
The thin blade is sandwiched between a massive frog which is 3/4″ thick at the bottom and a backup iron which is 3/16th” thick. The chipbreaker can eliminate tearout and guides the shavings up and into the throat. The reverse angle of the frog matches the angle at the front of the throat, so the old problem of the throat widening as the sole is worn down from truing is no longer an issue. In fact, you can take 3/8″ off the sole and the opening will still be the same! The frog is adjusted for blade depth and lateral projection with the two adjusting nuts at the top of the plane. By being situated at the outer sides of the frog, adjusting depth also controls lateral adjustment so no separate lateral adjuster is required. There is no backlash in these adjusting screws, so this is a very fast and precise process.
The adjustable handle tightens the frog lock bolt which is captured in a T-slot in the back of the frog. This handle should be loosened slightly before adjustments are made and then re-tightened afterward.
The mouth opening can be closed up by simply inserting a small shim behind the frog from the bottom of the plane. A thin piece of card like from a matchbook or similar works well. This is rarely necessary though, as tearout can easily be controlled by adjusting the chipbreak distance.
Here are the results:
- The blade is small and thin, so never needs grinding, and is inexpensive to have multiples on hand.
- No ‘tension’ in the plane from tightening the wedge or the lever cap screw or cam.
- Each plane comes with its’ own Sharpening Jig.
- Now featuring our NEW adjustable camber frog.
- The mouth opening never widens as the sole is trued because the mouth is cut parallel at the front and back of the opening.
- No backlash in the depth adjusters because they are in a straight line to the frog and have springs for tension.
- Because of the reverse angle of the bed, a scraper frog can be substituted.
Scraper Frog: All of our bench planes can be made into scraper planes by swapping out a plane frog for a scraper plane frog. This takes about 2 minutes. You then have all the adjustments of a bench plane. See our scraper planes under the Features category
Each Plane comes with the following:
- Sharpening jig
- Hex driver
- Torx plus hex bit
- Roll of 150 sandpaper
- 2 blades
There are no reviews yet.